Question for tech savvy readers?

Posted: October 17, 2013 in Uncategorized

I would like to change the address of this blog. I actually purchased the domain name, baseballsolutions.org and when someone goes to that site, it automatically goes to http://baseballsolutions.wordpress.com.

I am using WordPress blog software, obviously. What is the best way to do this? Can I link one site to the other for a while? Can I put up a duplicate blog on another domain and then just tell people for a while on this site that I am transferring domains? Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I was able to complete the new address and redirect. Thanks for all your help!

Advertisements
Comments
  1. spark says:

Hi MGL, I can probably help you with this.

Just to understand, you want to keep the wordpress site, but have the domain name of baseballsolutions.org to point to this wordpress site? If so, you will need to purchase a domain name and purchase WordPress.com’s custom domains service (http://store.wordpress.com/premium-upgrades/custom-domains/). If you want to move this to a self hosted (ie: meaning you rent your own servers, and install some blogging software on there) service, you will have to use your registrar (register.com or godaddy.com) where you bought the domain name to set a CNAME record and point it at the IP address of your new server.

• MGL says:

Actually, I already own baseballsolutions.org and it points to this WordPress site. I followed the WordPress instructions so that when you type in baseballsolutions,org, it goes to baseballsolutions.wordpress.com.

But, I want to change my baseballsolutions.org domain to something else. I basically want to give up that domain, but I want all my readers to be able to access the new site easily.

So, let’s say that I purchase MGL.org. I will set up a WordPress site just like I did the old one so that when you type in MGL.org it goes to MGL.wordpress.com. But, I want people to be able to still type in baseballsolutions.org for a while at least and then either have it go to MGL.wordpress.com, or have it go to the old site, where I will tell people about the new site. In the latter case, I would have to have two identical WordPress blogs. I don’t know if that is possible. I suppose it is. But I don’t know how to keep them synced if I do that.

I hope that makes sense.

2. spark says:

Hi MGL,

So right now, when I type in baseballsolutions.org, I get a 301 redirect to the baseballsolutions.wordpress.com domain. Is this something you set up via wordpress? In any case, if you set up a new domain (MGL.org), you can set that up to redirect to mgl.wordpress.com as you have already done for baseballsolutions.org, but additionally, you should be able to redirect baseballsolutions.org to the new domain (mgl.wordpress.com) via either your domain registrar’s DNS records, or via the wordpress admin tool (I don’t have much experience with the wordpress admin tools). You shouldn’t have to maintain sites. You can export your existing baseballsolutions.wordpress.com blog and import it into your new mgl.wordpress.com blog, and just setup the domain names to redirect to the new address.

One other note, you’ll probably want to keep your old baseballsolutions.org domain just for the purposes of redirecting users and keeping any google search indexing.

3. dmick89 says:

I believe this link should help you: http://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/map-existing-domain/

Alternatively, you could export your files and database to a different host.

4. MGL says:

Thanks to both of you. So far, that seems to be the solution. The “301 redirect” (I don’t know what that is) is something that is set up through WordPress. I self-hosted, I think, buy purchasing the domain, but it was still all done through WordPress.

5. dmick89 says:

WordPress.com is a hosting company that allows you to purchase and manage domains. I’ve never used wordpress.com, but I believe that to be true. I suppose you could purchase a domain at some place like godaddy.com and manage it from there by pointing the nameservers to something like ns1.wordpress.com. There are any number of ways doing it. My domain is currently purchased through Hostgator and I use their nameservers, but the A record is pointed elsewhere (where I actually host the wordpress files and database).

It appears that changing this is relatively simple and is probably only a few steps. The info should work in the link I posted earlier, but without having used wordpress.com, I can only offer an educated guess. I’m a longtime WordPress user, but have never hosted with wordpress.com.

I’m really enjoying your site so far, MGL. Glad you got back to blogging and I like that you have your own space.